Saturday, December 29, 2012

Brunch: French Toast

Happy weekend! (Okay, "official" weekend - this whole week has felt like one long holiday weekend to me.) I wanted to share this delicious (and super easy) French toast recipe.

A few Sundays ago I asked the hubs what he wanted for breakfast. Usually on a weekend I get a reply of Nookies (our go-to neighborhood full brunch spot) or CBA (our go-to neighborhood bagel spot). Instead, he replied "French toast." French toast? I've never made it and growing up in a health-conscious household definitely never ate it in my childhood. I did a bit of quick research and found an easy recipe that you probably already have the ingredients for (really who wants to go to the grocery before breakfast) and is as quick as pancakes.


Supplies
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 cup milk (I used 2%)
  • pinch of salt
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • bread (I used round sourdough loafs from our local grocery)

Directions
1. Mix the flour, milk, salt, eggs, cinnaom, vanilla and sugar together.
2. Pour it into a large Pyrex or cookie sheet (with raised sides).
3. Slice the bread and place it in the mixture. After a few minutes flip it so that both sides are saturated. The whole soaking process can be as long as you'd like - I'd say no less than five minutes (make coffee or heat syrup while you wait!)
4. Spray Pam or a similar non-stick spray on your frying pan.
5. Cook the toast on each side until it is no longer soggy to the touch and is a light brown on each side.
5. Serve hot with syrup. (if you'd like add powdered sugar, banana slices or fresh berries, or peanut butter - yum!)



1 comment:

  1. This was spectacular! We had it two weekends Ina row while I was trying to cut out bread; it's that good!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...